Saturday, February 18, 2012

Food Coma


Happy Long Weekend!

Started the day off right with oats in a jar:

Today's mix included
Trader Joe's creamy unsalted peanut butter
Irish-style oats
Cinnamon
Frozen blueberries

It's after 6pm and I'm still in a food coma from lunch today. While I eat a mostly vegetarian diet, I occasionally give in to my carnivorous side. Most of my friends love their meat, so whenever we do go to restaurants I usually cross my fingers hoping there will be a couple of vegetarian options to chose from. Today however I knew I'd have more than enough options: Veggie Galaxy. My friend D is a pretty strict vegan. I say pretty mainly because he still eats honey, which most strict vegans wont, and when he's sick he's okay taking pills that have gelatin in them. If you live in Boston or Cambridge and haven't checked Veggie Galaxy out yet, you're seriously missing out! To sum up the place it's a vegan diner. Yes, a diner. Just because it's vegan doesn't mean it's all rabbit food. Nope. Somehow the master chiefs figured out how to make foods without animal products just as comforting as their non-vegan originals. Every time I go I swear I'll try something new, but I always end up getting the same thing: black bean veggie burger with roasted pepper puree and tempeh bacon. And don't get me started on their desserts. Buy one of their desserts and I swear that you wont be able to tell it's vegan. I love places like Veggie Galaxy because it shows that you don't have to have meat, eggs, or milk to create something delicious. It's also a great place to bring any friends who want to cut back on their meat but are intimidated. Veggie Galaxy feels like a classic diner -- they don't shove the fact that they're vegan down your throat. In fact, the first time we went, my friend had to ask the server to make sure that everything on the menu actually was vegan. PLEASE GO HERE!

Even though I was stuffed to the brim, my friend talked me into going over to Life Alive (another awesome all-vegetarian place in Central Square) to get a cookie. Now, when he said cookie I expected something slightly crunchy, with a cookie-amount of sugar, and to be on a sugar high for the walk back. Instead, I got a MASSIVE circle of cookie dough pretending to be a cookie. And that sugar high? Nope. Sugar coma. I got back home, fell on my bed, and couldn't get up for over an hour. Be careful with these cookies! They're so good that it's hard to stop, but trust me STOP. Eat one and give the other to a friend. Not only are they pretty high in calories and saturated fat, but they will knock you out. Don't let me scare you though. These cookies are mind-blowing. And since they're vegan you get the joy of cookie dough without the fear of food-borne illness :)The brand is Liz Lovely from Vermont check out her website of sinfully good vegan and gluten-free treats here.

Have a great Saturday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment