Sunday, February 5, 2012

Mixed Berry Peach Pie


Few things are more American than Super Bowl Sunday and pie. Yes, we had chili, wings and dip (alright, hummus) too, but my contribution was a mixed berry peach pie. In addition to being a mix of different fruits, the pie was constructed from a mix of recipes I found obsessively browsing food blogs.

While I think lattice-topped pies are stunning, I don't like the taste. Pies have never really been my thing. Yes there are a couple exceptions, but for the most part give me a cobbler or a crisp over a pie any day. Well, my friends LOVE pie, and since it was supposed to be a day of "guy food" I figured I'd make the type of dessert the guys would prefer.

Instead of a traditional pie, I did a little compromising: a no-roll traditional-tasting pie crust on the bottom and a crumble top.


For the bottom crust I used Joy the Baker's life-saving no-roll crust. I followed her directions exactly, so for the recipe be sure to check it out on her blog here.
Love Joy's idea to grate the frozen butter!

The top crumble I took from Naturally Ella. Again, I did exactly what she told me to do, however I only used about half the recipe, again just not a crust person.


The filling was devised up using countless tips from other bloggers. What I did:
2 cups frozen peaches
3 cups frozen raspberry/blueberry mix
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup sugar
1 T lemon juice
Splash of vanilla extract

Putting it all together:

Very Mixed Berry Peach Pie

What you need:
1 no-roll crust from Joy the Baker
Filling ingredients (above)
Topping mix from Naturally Ella

What to do:
  1. Make the crust according to Joy's instructions. Place foil around the pie crust and place in freezer for 1 hour
  2. While crust is in the freezer, preheat oven to 375 degrees. In large bowl, mix together filling ingredients and let sit in room temperature until the crust is ready. 
  3. Make topping
  4. Take crust out of the freezer. Spoon the filling into the crust, and then top with as much crumble as you like. 
  5. Place on lower rack in oven and cook for 20minutes. After 20minutes, reduce temperature to 350 degrees. Continue to cook for 40 more minutes, or until berries are bubbling and top is brown. 
  6. Remove from oven and place by open window for 2-3 hours. Place foil over pie until ready to serve

No comments:

Post a Comment